It is a legally restricted classification category as it contains content that is unsuitable for exhibition by persons under 15 years. A person may be asked to show proof of their age before hiring or purchasing an MA 15+ film or computer game. Cinema staff may also request that the person show proof of their age before allowing them to watch an MA 15+ film. People under 15 years must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian for the duration of the exhibition. Material classified MA 15+ may not be sold to anyone under the age stated without adult accompaniment.
If a person under 15 wants to see an MA 15+ film and they are accompanied, the person must be supplied the movie ticket.
The content is strong in impact.
In terms of coarse language, "c**t" may be used if infrequent and if not exploitative or offensive. One use of the strongest language is allowed.
Prior to 2013, computer games could only be classified up to MA 15+, and a computer game which contained content too strong for that classification would be Refused Classification.
In the policy of computer games, nudity or sexual activity that is related to incentives and rewards cannot be accommodated within the MA 15+ classification. Instead, games containing the aforementioned material will automatically receive an R 18+ classification.
Examples of MA 15+ materialEdit
- Deadpool (Strong bloody violence and sex scene)
- Deadpool 2 (re-rating) (Strong bloody violence and coarse language)
- Fifty Shades Darker (Strong sex scenes)
- Grimsby (Strong crude sexual humour and nudity)
- The Nice Guys (Strong violence, sex, nudity and coarse language)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (edited version) (Frequent strong coarse language and drug use)
- Sausage Party (Strong crude sexual humour, coarse language and drug use)
- Whiplash (Strong coarse language)
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Strong themes and violence, online interactivity)
- Dishonored 2 (Strong bloody violence)
- EA Sports UFC 2 (Strong sporting violence, online interactivity)
- Titanfall 2 (Strong battle violence, online interactivity)
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Strong violence, online interactivity)
- MA15+ material may be broadcast from 8:30 p.m. on Australian television. Some stronger MA15+ material was previously placed into an AV15+ category that was broadcast from 9:30 p.m., however this classification was abolished in December 2015 by the ACMA's new guidelines.