The latest version of the Brazilian Informative Classification system was made official on television in mid-2007, although it was already used on motion pictures, video games, and some television networks since 2006. Since then, the television networks themselves rate the shows, while the Department of Justice, Rating, Titles and Qualification (Portuguese: Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação) judges the content to guarantee that the rating is appropriate for that specific show. On broadcast networks, where the system is mandatory, the ratings are also translated in Brazilian Sign Language, and may also carry content descriptors. The icons must be shown at the start of each block of the show, and their respective promos.
The Brazilian content rating system utilizes age-specific classifications (with the exception of ER- and L-rated programming), and consist of the following:
- ER: Programs with this rating are exempt from classification. Abandoned in 2007.
- L (Livre para todos os públicos): May contain content that is suitable for all audiences (and should not bring any elements unsuitable for those under 10 years).
- 10 (Não recomendado para menores de 10 anos): May contain content not recommended for viewers under 10 years of age. They can contain derogatory language, display of arms with violence, educational sex content, and/or references to use of soft drugs.
- 12 (Não recomendado para menores de 12 anos): May contain content not recommended for viewers under 12 years of age. They can contain violence, peril, partial nudity, sexual innuendo, and/or some coarse language, and/or legal drug use.
- 14 (Não recomendado para menores de 14 anos): May contain material not recommended for viewers under 14 years of age. They can contain intentional death, nudity, some use of strong language, and/or references to drugs.
- 16 (Não recomendado para menores de 16 anos): May contain material not recommended for viewers under 16 years of age. They can include some sexual violence, gratuitous violence, intense sexual activity, some very strong language, and/or production and use of illegal drugs.
- 18 (Não recomendado para menores de 18 anos): May contain content suitable only for viewers 18 years of age and older. They can contain violence of high impact (graphic violence), glamorisation of crime, explicit sex, sexual violence, or praising the use of hard drugs, and/or frequent very strong language.